Thursday, February 19, 2009

Free Tax Service (Yes, I said FREE) or How I Saved Over $400 in Tax Preparation Fees

Last year, I had my taxes done by a nationally-known service, who shall remain nameless. Having 3 kids, I knew I was going to get a good refund, so I figured paying a little for the service would not be significant. Well, after it was all said and done, I ended up paying over $400 for their service! Yes, $400. Not a typo. In a matter of hours I spent about 10% of my return to do something I really could have done myself. Or even better, I could have spent nothing for someone else to do it for me too.

This year, I heard about a new service the Salvation Army is providing to their respective communities. As you may have guessed, it is a tax preparation service. Bring in your info, they will work with you to get the job done. For free. FOR FREE! No more $400 fees! The only difference is that they will not stand behind you if the IRS comes knocking on your door for an audit. So don't lie. If you feel lying to the US Government is a good idea, you will probably have bigger problems than saving a few bucks on your taxes.

I came in prepared with my W-2's, my 1099-INT's, my mortgage interest 1098, etc. We sat down, I registered with their online system to do the work and bing, bang boom, it was done. The counselor even allowed me to enter in some information and said it is very similar to TurboTax online (I was not aware of this). So next year, I might try it myself and use TurboTax instead.

One detail you must be aware of: if you want to e-file your taxes (you will get your refund faster), then you must choose a 5 digit PIN for yourself. Choose any numbers. You then verify your identity with your birthdate and your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) from last year's return. You need NOT call the IRS or have to register with them or anything.

You might be thinking, "Salvation Army? Don't they give out clothes to homeless and ring that bell at Christmas in all the malls?" Yes, one in the same. There may be a certain stigma associated with the Salvation Army, but, rest assured it is only in you mind. Let go of your pride and go to them if you need help. They are here for the benefit of the entire community, regardless of the amount of need.

So, to review:
- Salvation Army is offering free tax preparation services
- You will need your W-2's and such along with the SS numbers of any dependents living with you
- Same day service
- Save $200-$500 in tax preparation fees.
- Downside? None.

Go and make an appointment before April 15th!


No comments: